What is infrared energy?
• The electromagnetic spectrum is divided into three segments by wavelength, which is measured in microns (1/1,000,000 of a meter).
1.0.76 to 1.5 microns = near infrared
2.1.5 to 5.6 microns = middle infrared
3.5.6 to 1000 microns = far infrared
•This wavelength of light warms objects without warming the air between the source and the object (known as conversion).
• This radiant heat can also be called Infrared Energy (IR).
• Do not confuse this with UV radiation (sunburn) or atomic radiation (nuclear) – see the diagram above for where these types of light fall on the spectrum.
• Infrared waves are not visible to human eyes but can be seen by special instruments that translate infrared into colors that are visible to our eyes.
• The best example is the sun (80% of the sun’s rays are infrared).
• Our atmosphere allows infrared rays in the 7 to 14 micron range to safely reach the earth’s surface.
• When warmed, the earth radiates infrared rays with its peak output at 10 microns.
• The human body radiates infrared energy out through the skin at 3 to50 microns, with most around 9.4 microns.
How does an infrared sauna work?
Far Infrared Saunas have been around for years, but only recently have become popular in North America. Japanese have been utilizing the Infrared Saunas for the past century and have enjoyed tremendous health benefits from them. Infrared Saunas are unlike conventional saunas which pull sweat out of the body. Far Infrared energy penetrates up to 3 inches into the body and PUSHES sweat out of the body. As the body is heated from the inside out, it forces toxins under the skin out.
• Far infrared sauna therapy is said to duplicate the healthy frequencies of our own cells. The tissues are purported to selectively absorb these rays as the water in the cell reacts in a process called “resonant absorption”.
• This resonant absorption is said to occur when the frequency of the far infrared matches the frequency of the water in the cell. This causes toxins from the cells to be put out into the blood stream and excreted in sweat, feces, and urine.
• Proponents of this therapy state that our tissues which are undergoing the healing process may need a boost of infrared to ensure the fullest healing response.
• Far infrared is claimed to penetrate the body’s tissues to a depth of 1.5 to 3 inches.
• Due to the supposed deep penetration of infrared rays, a heating effect is observed deep in the muscular tissues and even into the internal organs.
• This “deep heating,” along with sweating, is thought to be responsible for the healing effects and the other health benefits associated with these infrared rays.
Benefits of Far Infrared Sauna
The following claims are not supported by medical evidence. These are claims from far-infrared sauna manufacturers and marketers, and customers.
Claimed to stimulate the body to release fat-soluble toxins, heavy metals, and other toxic chemicals in sweat via pores more effectively than any other form of heat therapy or exercise. Sweating via exercise is said not to be as effective because it works via the sympathetic nervous system which is said to inhibit toxin elimination. Reported to be “method of choice” for chronically ill patients as well as those that are well and wish to stay that way by reducing their “toxic burden.”
This is the only way to remove the noxious substances that silicon breast implants put out. Reports have been made that it can relieve the symptoms of drug-induced lupus. The list of chemicals claimed to be removed from the body includes: Mercury, lead, copper, cadmium, manganese, sodium, chloride, arsenic, nickel, benzenes, street drugs, prescription drugs, anesthetics, cholesterol, urea, nicotine, sulfuric acid.
Immune System Enhancement
A typical sauna session will cause a brief 1 to 3 degree F increase in body temperature. Fever is the body’s defense against bacteria, microbes and consequent infection. This side effect is said to trigger the production of white blood cells by the bone marrow and killer T cells by the thymus. The overall result is claimed to be immune system enhancement as well as the killing of microorganisms.
Continuous strain on the autonomic nervous system leads to a high level of stress, one of the elusive causes of many chronic diseases. Allowing the capillaries to dilate may improve circulation, thus stress levels are reduced.
Although weight loss from perspiration is quickly regained, sending more blood to the capillaries and converting fats results in as much as 600 calories during one session. If heavy metals are reduced, this will correct metabolic imbalances that were causing poor digestion and weight gain. Also, toxins stored in fat are decreased making it easier for weight loss. Some proponents claim that a 15 minute sauna session is as effective for weight loss as rowing or jogging for 30 minutes. The improved blood flow to organs and endocrine glands speeds up their metabolic process, increasing caloric burn. Because fat becomes water soluble at 110 degrees F, subcutaneous fat can be released along with the sweat and toxins.
The body responds to the deep heating effect via a hypothalamic-induced increase in both heart volume and rate. This beneficial heart stress leads to a sought after cardiovascular training and conditioning effect, including lowering blood pressure. The human body will naturally try and cool itself as temperature increases. It does this by diverting blood from internal organs to the extremities and skin by vasodilatation. This increases heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate. Claims are made that it can take the place of exercise for patients undergoing cardiac rehab, with arthritis, allergies, skin conditions, and other painful conditions. Claims to sweat the equivalent of running 2-6 miles.
Cellulite is a gel-like substance made up of fat, water and wastes, which are trapped in pockets below the skin. Profuse sweating is purported to clear this form of unwanted debris. Claims to be effective in cellulite removal when used in conjunction with a program that includes diet and massage.
Pain Relief and Control
Claims to eliminate or reduce the pain of arthritis, muscle spasms, shoulder pain, neck and back pain, sprains of any area, and reduce scar tissue and adhesions. Will rapidly increase the healing process in any non-acute injury.
Skin Cleansing and Rejuvenation
Claims to open clogged pores allowing for removal of dirt, oil, and makeup. In addition, there are improvements in skin problems such as acne, rashes, burns, eczema and psoriasis. Scars, even keloids, may be gradually softened.
• GH • Endorphins
• Renin-Angiotensin, Aldosterone
Claim to have seen improvements in:
• Arthritis (gouty, rheumatoid and DJD)
• Shoulder pain
• Post-exercise muscle pain
• Muscle tension
• Healing of sprains and strains more quickly
• Spinal cord shock
• Low back pain
• Muscle spasms
Some supporters of sauna therapy state that “hyperthermia is a well-researched therapy for cancer.” They state that the high temperatures can “select” for abnormal cells and that tumors are unable to handle the high heat.
Top 10 Reasons as to why you should have Infrared Sauna Therapy
1. Weight Loss
2. Detoxify Effect – improve health by ridding your body of toxins
3. Cardiovascular conditioning – can decrease heart failure and hypertension 4. Alleviates Muscle and Joint Pain – great for arthritis and rheumatism sufferers. They are also excellent for athletes when warming up or cooling down as infrared saunas will increase muscle length 5. Relieves Stress – will leave you feeling rejuvenated
6. Improved Immune System – increase resistance to disease
7. Improved Skin Tone and Elasticity 8. Helps Skin Problems; helps heal scars, burns, acne, eczema, psoriasis
9. Reduce Cellulite
10. Improves male sexual function; Infrared Saunas have been shown to increase the production of nitric oxide.
Beever R. Far-infrared saunas for treatment of cardiovascular risk factors: Summary of published evidence. Canadian Family Physician. 2009;55:691.
Beever R. Do Far-infrared saunas have cardiovascular benefits in people with type 2 diabetes? Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2010;34:113.
Takashi K, et al. Waon therapy improves the prognosis of patients with chronic heart failure. Journal of Cardiology. 2009;53:214.
Oosterveld FG, et al. Infrared sauna in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. Clinical Rheumatology. 2009;28:29.
At Health R Us Clinic we are pleased to offer FREE consultations. That means you may call or come in to simply discuss your health concerns and get some straight answers. We give you all the information you will need to make an informed decision about how to move forward with natural cutting-edge solutions to your given health problem. With our state of the art early detection high-tech equipment including, Live Blood Microscopic Analysis, early cancer detection with D.I.T.I. or digital Cardiovascular Screening together with solid nutritional advise and natural herbal supplementation, we are here to get you on the road to abundant health and wellness.
Please feel free to contact us today at 421 7167 or 253 5858 to discuss your health concerns or for more information